Monday, October 15, 2007

Did I say flooding?

Well I meant it! I previously posted some pictures of the flooding at the park down the street. Well wait til you get a look at the ones from today! We had 3.80 inches of rain fall in 1.5 hours. The whole city was under water.



Take a look at these...




Now it is important to note that the worst flooding occurred at 8:30am. I took these pictures at 4:30pm. You can imagine how much water had drained away at this point.
I went out for a meeting at 11:30am and called Tom about the water. I was in shock. We really thought that a dam had broken or something. I never thought it was possible for this much flooding to occur from rain.
The really amazing thing though, is that the city was planned this way. Our parks and a golf course run the whole length of the city in the flood plains along the banks of the river. It means that no one loses a home during the flooding, but also serves to irrigate our parks so we don't waste precious water on fields of green grass. Brilliant, huh?

6 comments:

Maudy said...

Holy cow? Did you take in any water in your home? We could sure have used a little of that here. It only threatens to rain, and we are dry in Hemet.

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

Wow! I'm sure Courtney and Darren would've loved to have played around that wet mess. Boy I loved that rain. Do you think it'll rain any more? I'm up for it as long as no one gets flooded and the power stays on (we hardly need another 36 hours without electricity...that was horrid!).

rosebud said...

great photos Liz!!

Unknown said...

I'd love to talk to you about your blog. So much going on in my life and you inspired me to start mine, but I haven't been able to figure out how to post pics or music.

Dianne

Unknown said...

Liz - I probably should identify ... its Dianne Kerr

Maren said...

Very cool. You told me you had seen the water go up that high, but I just couldn't picture it. But now.... I guess I believe you. :)