Sunday, October 14, 2007

My First C-section~ October 4, 2007

Well, A, you know I had to post it!
I attended my first birth after coming off of maternity leave in September. It was at Presbyterian of Plano and it was an induction. I thought for sure it would have a not so great outcome, but it turned out beautiful! Quick and easy birth and I was home for dinner. Gotta love those.
So a few weeks later, you can imagine my surprise when I have another birth and it ends up with that not so great outcome.
It started with the fact that Tom had just had surgery like 12 hours before I needed to be at the hospital for the induction. I did some quick rescheduling and canceling and arranged for Dunkan to stay home and Heather to bring them dinner. All was well.
The induction was pretty uneventful most of the day. I came home twice to nurse Isabel and do a few things for my client. That was really great. I was at a nearby hospital, so that helped. By nightfall though, a shift change brought a nurse with a different agenda and things got rolling quickly. Well, I won't go into all the details. She worked so hard though. I was so proud of this mama. She had to give up everything she had hoped for in a birth experience. Below is the slideshow I put together. It tells the story better than I can. Ultimately, after being away from home for almost 34 hours, this one takes the cake. It was long and hard. I figure if I can make it through that and the family is still alive when I get back... we're doing ok.


This mama seems to be doing great. I am so proud of her. As far as me, well, they have made it great. They even sent me a giant flower bouquet... made out of fresh fruit! I was so glad they still found it useful to have me there and didn't feel like I had let them down. That was a relief. Having done the photography, it was healing for me to watch the video as well. I know I made the video, but I still sat there and cried. I know though that she can be successful. We'll just have to wait for the next baby.

A~ this one's for you girl... you did great!

1 comment:

Maudy said...

It's wonderful that you are able to preserve these special moments for the families that you assist. You are quite the potographer!