Saturday, October 13, 2007

My addiction on a clothsline



Yep, you guessed it! Those are cloth diapers blowing in the breeze. Aren't they great! The big rectangle ones are the kind my mom used on me, prefolds. I died them and the one on the end I tie dyed when my sis was visiting. The ones in the middle are All in Ones and work just like a disposable. I love looking out my window at all the colors on the line. Makes me feel like I live in the country... even if I don't.
So why in the world would a person cloth diaper you may ask? I'll tell you why I do:
  1. It's cheap. Really cheap. I probably spent $200 total for all my diapers. That was what I spent in 2 month in disposables.
  2. They are so cute! I love the colors, embroidery, fabrics, and such. It is just so much more fun on sister's bum than boring sposies.
  3. Your baby's health: The chemical used to make disposable diapers super absorbent, sodium polyacrylate, was removed from tampons in 1995 due to its link to toxic shock syndrome. and can cause allergic reactions. Dioxin which, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), is the most toxic of all chemicals linked to cancer, is a by-product of bleaching paper. Dioxin is so toxic that even the smallest detectable quantities have been known to cause immune system suppression, liver disease, and genetic problems in lab animals. There are also potentially irritating, or even health damaging, dyes and fragrances used in the production of disposable diapers. The long term effect of any of these chemical being in close contact with a baby's skin and genitals for as long as 18 months to 3 years has not been studied.
  4. The environment. Poop isn't meant to go in the landfills. It is meant to go in the toilet.

Now with that all said... I mostly cloth diaper for the first two reasons and consider the last two a bonus. And I do use sposies on occassion. I really need more diapers so on wash day it isn't so hard to find a diaper! If you want to learn more about cloth diapers, I highly recommend visiting http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/basics.htm to learn more.

1 comment:

Maudy said...

Hooray or you! You are doing your bit for our planet. I had beautiful diapers for my little ones too when they were in them. They were made of terry & flannel with added padding where needed. The boys had plain colors, but Karla's were floral.